Skip to Content
2012/13 seminar archive
- 17 October, No seminar due to cancellation by the speaker. Rescheduled for the 21st of November.
- 24 October, Inaugural Seminar from Daniel Franks (University of York), "The Leeds digital pathology workstation: designing, developing and evaluating for diagnostic use"
- 31 October, Distinguished International Speaker: Tobias Nipkow (Technical University Munich, Germany), "Continuous-Variable Quantum Cryptography with Entanglement in the Middle" - Hosted by Detlef Plump
- 7 November, Roundhouse Public Lecture: Darrel Ince (Emeritus Professor of Computing at The Open University) "The Cracks in Science"
at 6.30pm in RCH/037
- 12 November (Monday - 2.15pm - CSE/083), Peter Wellstead (Hamilton Institute, NUIM, Maynooth), "A Fresh Look at Parkinson’s Disease" - Hosted by Jim Austin
- 21 November, Coffee-Table Book Seminar: Alan Frisch (Artificial Intelligence Group, University of York), "A Decade of Research on Constraint Modelling and Reformulation: The Quest for Abstraction and Automation" - Chaired by Ana Cavalcanti.
- 28 November, No seminar due to APR meeting.
- 5 December, Helen Sharp (Open University) - last minute cancellation. Rescheduled for the 1st of May.
- 12 December, Ulrike Hahn (University of Cardiff) "What makes things similar?" - hosted by Edwin Hancock
- 16 January, Distinguished International Speaker: Barry O'Sullivan (University College Cork, Ireland), "Monte Carlo Tree Search" - Hosted by Alan Frisch
- 23 January, No seminar. Academic Staff meeting.
- 30 January, Viv Kendon (University of Leeds), "Quantum walks and algorithms" - Chaired by Susan Stepney
- 6 February, Mauro Paternostro (Queen's University of Belfast), "A route to quantumness in mesoscopic systems: Through the (quantum) looking glass, and what Alice found found there" - Hosted by Sam Braunstein
- 13 February, Roundhouse Public Lecture: Sam Braunstein (University of York) at 6.30pm in LMB/030 & 031 (free tickets sold out), "Teleporting to the Future"
- 20 February, No seminar.
- 27 February, Inaugural Seminar from Paul Cairns (University of York), "Immersion in digital games"
- 06 March, Darren Treanor (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust), "The Leeds digital pathology workstation: designing, developing and evaluating for diagnostic use" - Hosted by Alistair Edwards
- 13 March, Christian Weedbrook (University of Toronto, Canada), "Continuous-Variable Quantum Cryptography with Entanglement in the Middle"
- 01 May, Helen Sharp (Open University), "Novice interaction designer behaviour: a comparison of UK and Botswana participants" - hosted by Paul Cairns
- 08 May,Distinguished International Speaker: Arend Rensink (University of Twente, Netherlands), "Graph-Based State Spaces" - Hosted by Richard Paige
- 15 May, Distinguished International Speaker: Horst Bunke (University of Bern, Switzerland - RAEng disinguished visitor at York), "Towards Bridging the Gap between Structural and Statistical Pattern Recognition" - Hosted by Edwin Hancock
- 22 May, Netta Cohen (University of Leeds), "Neural control of behaviour: Lessons from a worm"
- 29 May, Martyn Amos (Manchester Metropolitan University), "Population-based microbial computing" - Hosted by Susan Stepney
- 5 June, Inaugural Seminar from Mike Dodds (University of York), "Taming Concurrency by Thinking Locally" - Chaired by Detlef Plump
- 12 June, Peter Cowling (University of York), "Monte Carlo Tree Search" - Chaired by Alan Frisch