My research focuses on the convergence of robotics and biology. By understanding and abstracting the design principles found in biological systems, I cultivate expertise in several key areas, including modelling and transfer of human/animal excellence/knowledge for autonomous motion learning & generation, enhancement of sensory-motor and learning capabilities, optimized morphological design for behavioural variability, optimal dynamics control for motor control learning. My primary objectives revolve around enhancing the comprehension of the biological underpinnings for lifelong learning, including adaptability and autonomy
exhibited by animals, as well as creating innovative machine intelligence solutions, robotic systems, and applied control systems characterized by greater adaptability, resilience, and energy efficiency.
My research efforts encompass various specific areas, including human-robot collaboration & interaction, agriculture & aquaculture environment control, soft robotics & new actuations, rehabilitation, and embodied artificial intelligence.
Please see my website for my latest research and my GoogleScholar for my publications.
- PhD in Robotics and Control
- MSc in Control Theory and Control Engineering
- BEng in Measurement Control and Instrumentation
- Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Robotics and Applied Control, 2023 to present, University of York.
- Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Computer Science, 2020 to 2023, University of York.
- Senior Lecturer in Engineering and Design Technology, 2018-2020, Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- Research Fellow, 2017-2018, LCAS & LIAT, University of Lincoln.
- Research Assistant, 2016-2017, Bournemouth University.
- Visiting Fellow, 2014-2015, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
- Visiting Fellow, 2014-2015, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- Member of IEEE, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS), IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society (SMC), IEEE Control Systems Society (CSS) and IFAC.
- Member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Bio Robotics, Soft Robotics, Robot Learning, and Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics.
- Member, EPSRC Peer Review College
- Associate Editor, IEEE Access.
- Academic Editor, PeerJ Computer Science.
Departmental and University Roles
- Disability advisor
- Student Disability Coordinator (On-Campus)
- Graduate School Board