RE: Question regarding UML Use-cases

From: Guy Genilloud <guy.genilloud_at_a3.epfl.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:06:47 +0100
Hi Stefan,

You may want to read these 2 papers:

1.	Genilloud, G., Frank, W.F. and Génova, G., Use Cases, Actions, and
Roles.
      in Satellite Events at the MoDELS 2005 Conference: MoDELS 2005
      International Workshops OCLWS, MoDeVA, MARTES, AOM, MTiP, WiSME,
MODAUI,
      NfC, MDD, WUsCAM, Revised Selected Papers, (Montego Bay, Jamaica,
2005),
      Springer-Verlag GmbH.

2.	Genilloud, G. and Frank, W.F.
      Use Case Concepts using a Clear, Consistent, Concise Ontology.
      Journal of Object Technology, 4 (6, Special Issue: Use Case Modeling
      at UML-2004).

I would read them in that order, even though the 2 listed here is older.
That second paper is about Include and Extend.  Hopefully, it could be
a good basis for you to do more.

Remember that use cases often need to be approved by people with little
interest for UML, and no interest at all for formal semantics.
Also that a strength and a weakness of use cases is that they are
adaptable to different styles (often, clients or team members have
preferences...).

Please feel free to contact me for questions, remarks, etc.

Regards

Guy Genilloud