Extension to deadline for TOWERS 2007 at TOOLS EUROPE

From: Richard Paige <paige_at_cs.york.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:28:38 +0100
After receiving several requests, we have extended the submission
deadline for TOWERS 2007 to 15 May 2007. Below please find the
revised Call for Papers.

--
Call for Papers ***EXTENDED DEADLINE***

TOWERS 2007
First International Workshop on Towers of Models 2007
http://www.model-transformation.org/TOWERS2007/

Zurich, Switzerland

Co-located with TOOLS EUROPE 2007
http://tools.ethz.ch

Theme

In his seminar of January 2007 at the memorial for Gilles Kahn, Robin Milner
spoke on the subject of the future of informatics
(www.inria.fr/gilleskahn/presentation/milner.pdf).

In particular, he talked about the Grand Challenges in Computing – amongst
which there is a Challenge in Ubiquitous Computing. Milner noted that
“software engineering does not match procedures in other engineering
disciplines … A Grand Challenge is [therefore] to establish modelling as the
basis of informatics.”

A more thorough science-based approach to informatics and ubiquitous computing
is both necessary and possible. We often think in terms of models, whether formal
or not.  These models, each involving a subset of the immense range of concepts
needed for ubiquitous computer systems, should form the structure of our science.
Even more importantly, the relationships (either formal or informal) among them
are the cement that will hold our towers of models together. For example, how do
we derive a model for senior executives from one used by engineers in designing a
platform for business processes, or by theoreticians in analysing it?

A model consists of concepts and a set of permitted activities in terms of these
concepts. Models can be combined and can be realised (e.g., models can be implemented,
or explained, or refined by other models). For example, from Milner’s presentation,
referring to models of process and interaction:

- security disciplines realised by cryptography
- higher-order logic explains security disciplines
- cryptography implemented by programming language
- intracommunication realised by intercommunicating processes
- swim lanes explain intracommunication
- CSP refined by CSP

The essence of software engineering and informatics is formulating, managing,
and realising models. For realistic software engineering, we will need towers of
models, built using complex combinations of models. Models vary from very formal
to very informal, but this is independent of their usefulness. By looking at
relationships between models, we get a chance to relate the less formal to the
more formal – and thus bring users/engineers/theorists closer to each other.
Many examples of such relationships exist; we need to base our methodologies on them.

Milner’s vision expressed above meets what is being more and more pragmatically
observed and promoted by modern model-driven engineering practices. The TOWERS
2007 workshop aims to bring together researchers working on Modeling-in-the-large
issues, with a view to discussing them, comparing their approaches, techniques,
or ideas, and letting these researchers take advantage of different perspectives
- theoretical conceptual or practical - on these issues.

Any conceptual contribution to Milner’s towers of models vision or any practical
illustration of its possible deployment will be highly relevant to this workshop.

Goals

The goal of the TOWERS 2007 workshop is to bring together researchers and
practitioners interested in the development of modelling as the basis of
informatics and more specifically on global model management. In particular,
the workshop aims to explore integration and interoperability of models, based
on Milner’s idea of towers of models. Specifically, we are interested in the
following areas:

- Precise definitions of relationships between models (e.g., conformance,
   realisation, implementation, refinement, composition/merging)
- Repositories for models, and issues related to establishing and managing repositories
- Novel structures and definitions for formulating Towers of Models
- Relations to more practical and normative initiatives like the OMG’s
   metamodeling stack or the Eclipse Modeling Project
- Coordination and synchronisation between models and model repositories
- Relationships between the Grand Challenges in Computing and modelling
- Comparing semantic frameworks for model composition, coordination, and realisation
- Model composition techniques
- Model realisation techniques
- Taxonomy of modeling resources (models, metamodels, transformations, metadata, etc.)
- Taxonomy and precise definitions of global model relationships (conformance,
   correspondences, matching, composition, etc.)
- Model repositories and issues related to establishing, maintaining and using
   various relationships between modeling resources
- Relations between model-driven engineering and Domain-Specific Language (DSL)
   construction frameworks
- Coordination and synchronization between different modeling resources
- Higher-level abstractions and tool support for model coordination
- Comparing semantic frameworks for model coordination
- Scalability and extensibility of compositional model abstractions
- Model annotation or decoration techniques
- Automatic checking of composite model consistency
- Reasoning about correctness of model compositions
- Prediction of properties of compositions from properties of the involved modeling
   components
- Expression and verification of global constraints
- Formal semantics and type systems for model composition
- Domain-specific versus general composition languages

Submissions

We solicit papers on the above topics. Papers should be original, and not
submitted for publication elsewhere. They should generally be around 15
pages in Springer's LNCS format. However, we would like to give the maximum
freedom to contributors with respect to the number of pages in order to let
them express their original ideas.

Submission details will shortly be available on the workshop web site.

All submitted papers will be peer reviewed by members of the programme
committee. Accepted papers will be published in a technical report available
at the workshop in Zurich; authors of selected papers will be invited to
submit extended and revised versions of their work for consideration by
a Special Issue of the Springer journal Software and Systems Modelling, which
will be published some time after the workshop.

Important Dates **EXTENDED DUE TO REQUESTS***

Submissions:     15 May 2007
Notification:    04 June 2007
Camera-ready:    14 June 2007
Workshop:        25 June 2007

Program Committee

Jean-Marie Favre (France)
Bernhard Rumpe (Germany)
Jeff Gray (USA)
Martin Gogolla (Germany)
Alfonso Pierantonio (Italy)
Antonio Vallecillo (Spain)
Phil Brooke (UK)
Steve Cook (UK)
Ralf Laemmel (USA)
Uwe Assmann (Germany)
Laurie Tratt (UK)
Charles Consel (France)

Organisers

Richard Paige, University of York, UK
Jean Bezivin, INRIA, University of Nantes, France

--

Dr. Richard Paige
Lecturer, Department of Computer Science