Seminar by Robin Milner in Nantes on March 21 on "Ubiquitous computing, models and the informatic future"

From: Jean Bezivin <Jean.Bezivin_at_univ-nantes.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:01:16 +0100
The Atlanstic Federation of Labs (FR 2819) is happy to invite you
to a seminar to be given in Nantes by professor Robin Milner
on the subject of modelling.

Professor Milner is well known in the computer science community
for his major contributions to functional and concurrent languages.
He was awarded the prestigious "ACM Turing Award" in 1991.
In his seminar he will present one of the grand challenges of the 21st Century.

This seminar will take place at the Faculty of Sciences and Techniques,
University of Nantes, amphi H, on Wednesday March 21, at 14:00.

Amphi H is close to the LINA lab:
http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/LocalInfo/GetToLINA/

Professor Robin Milner,
Emeritus Professor at Cambridge University,
visiting Ecole Polytechnique (Paris) for a year
as "Ile-de-France Blaise Pascal Professeur de Recherche".

Title:

"Ubiquitous computing, models and the informatic future"

Abstract:

"Ubiquitous Computing Systems (UCSs) will be a dominant part of
informatics in this century. They will be vast, will evolve, will make
decision previously made by us, and will interact with one another.

The problem of how to understand them, both as designed and as they
evolve, is one of the Grand Challenges for Computing adopted by the UK
Computing Research Committee.  Many existing and more modest computing
systems are not deeply understood when they are specified or built;
this phenomenon appears to be a side-effect of the tremendous market
demand that has arisen worldwide in the past half century.

I shall argue that a more thorough science-based approach is both
necessary and possible. We often think in terms of models, whether
formal or not.  These models, each involving a subset of the immense
range of concepts needed for UCSs, should form the structure of our
science.  Even more importantly, the relationships (either formal or
informal) among them are the cement that will hold our tower of
models together. For example, how do we derive a model for senior
executives from one used by engineers in designing a platform for
business processes, or by theoreticians in analysing it?

Many examples of such relationships exist; we need to base our
methodologies on them, and on more of them.  As part of the talk, I
would like to illustrate this with my own work on mobile systems."

Robin Milner Biography:

Robin Milner graduated from Cambridge in 1958.  After short posts he joined
the University of Edinburgh in 1973, where he co-founded the Laboratory for
Foundation of Computer Science in 1986.  He was elected Fellow of the Royal
Society in 1988, and in 1991 won the ACM's A.M. Turing Award. He joined
Cambridge University in 1995, headed the Computer Laboratory there for four
years, and retired in 2001. His research achievements (often joint) include:
the system LCF, a model for many later systems for interactive reasoning;
systems; Standard ML, an industry-scale but rigorously based programming
language; the Calculus of Communicating Systems (CCS); the Pi Calculus.
Currently he works on Bigraphs, a topographical model for global computing.