Re: Duplications in UML2 Metamodel?

From: Marcus Alanen <maalanen_at_abo.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:07:58 +0200
Jörn Guy Süß wrote:
> There were two papers in the last Models conference discussing the semantics
> of package merge. It is REALLY complicated.
>
> Package Merge in UML 2: Practice vs. Theory? Zito, Diskin, Dingel Canada
>
> Basic Operations Over Models Containing Subset and Union Properties Alanen,
> Porres Finland

Dear Jörn and puml-list,

as one of the authors of the second paper above, I must point out that
we don't discuss package merges. We assume that it is possible to
(mechanically) transform a metamodel with package merges to a metamodel
without package merges, as Jim Steel and Jean-Marc Jézéquel have also
noted in "Typing Relationships in MDA". While such a "flattened"
metamodel is not what you want to work with directly, it suited our
framework better in this case.

We do discuss other interesting things, namely subset and (strict) union
properties.

Best regards,
Marcus