Re: UML Tool to manage Rose models

From: Vladimir Mencl <mencl_at_nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:31:06 +1300
On 12/01/2006 06:06 AM, Andrea Baruzzo wrote:
> Dear puml'ers,
> I am looking for a (free) tool which allows me to manage .mdl models.
> My goal is to view (even only in read-mode) the .mdl models. In
> particular, I want to "browse" the UML 2 metamodel. I have found that
> metamodel in the OMG web site:
> http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/modeling_spec_catalog.htm#UML
> but unfortunately I haven't Rose.
>
> Any suggestion?

Hi,

so far, what I found as the only way to work with the MDL files was to use
the trial license of Rose, and export the model from Rose to XMI.
I had to get a Rose plugin to do the XMI export (available from Unisys).

An alternative solution is to use the XMI version of the UML 2.0 metamodel
available directly from OMG.  Unfortunately, the most recent version
released was in January 2003.  There have been quite some changes in UML
2.0 since that, but it can be still useful to get the rough picture of
what is in the metamodel.

Best Regards,
Vladimir