ports of subcomponents

From: Martin Grosse-Rhode <Martin.Grosse-Rhode_at_isst.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:56:22 +0200
Dear all,

I am trying to derive from the UML2 meta model that: A subcomponent can
have a port. But I don't succeed in finding the association in the meta
model that justifies this statement.

Here's a more precise statement of the problem:
A component is a StructuredClassifier. To give it a subcomponent I have
to introduce a Property as ownedAttribute. Now I would like to attach a
Port to this Property, but I don't find the association that would
justify it.

The Property is a TypedElement, so it has a Type which might(*) be an
EncapsulatedClassifier which can have a Port. But this does not mean
that the Property can have a Port. However, in order to connect the
subcomponent (ownedAttribute:Property) within the component
(StructuredClassifier), it is necessary to distinguish the "port
instance" of the subcomponent from the Port of its Type.

The type-association of TypedElement and Type also does not specify that
the subcomponent would have port instances, just because the type has
ports.

(* By the way, is there any constraint that prevents an
ownedAttribute:Property of a StructuredClassifier to have another
Classifier as Type, like a Signal, a UseCase, or something like this?)

Does anyone have an explanation?

Kind regards,
Martin

--
Martin Große-Rhode,
Fraunhofer-ISST, Mollstr. 1, 10178 Berlin, Germany