Some questions about Domain Specific Languages!

From: Muhammad Masoom Alam <muhammad.alam_at_uibk.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:01:07 +0200
Dear Fellows,

*_First Question_*

Domain Specific Languages (DSL) play a key role in the context of Model
Driven Engineering. In this regard, some authors write Domain Specific
Modelling languages (DSML) instead of DSL. My first question is that, is
there is any significant difference between the DSML and the DSL?

*_Second Question_*

Secondly, how UML is related with the DSL or DSML. Can a UML profile be
called a DSML?

*_Third Question_*

Further, Model-Driven Engineering specifically focuses on
conceptualizing a DOMAIN. In general, DOMAIN is some thing like
health-care, e-govt, and automobile DOMAIN but whether we can have a
general DOMAIN such as "Inter-organizational workflows"?   and all kind
of workflows such as health-care workflows, e-govt workflows etc can be
accommodated within the "Inter-organizational workflows" DOMAIN.

*_Fourth Question (imp one)_*

Query View Transformation adopted specification by the OMG did not voice
about the transformation of DSL's. The method proposed in the
specification is as follows:

   1. We have two models namely A and B and we want to transform A to B
      using any of the specification given in QVT e.g. imperative one
      (such as Core ) or declarative one (such as relational)
   2. Take the meta-models of the A and B
   3. write appropriate script in the QVT specified language to
      transform the meta-model of A to B.

The question how this transformation workflow can be adopted for a
Domain Specific Language. Suppose I have a DSL L for a Domain d. To
simplify the things and more specifically suppose it is a variant of
OCL. Now I take the meta model of the DSL L. The meta model is some
thing like an Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) of OCL. The question is that
how I can transform the AST of the DSL L to some other model using the QVT?

I hope, I was able to convey my questions.
Thanking you in advance

Best Regards,

MA