Model repositories

From: Jean Bezivin <jean.bezivin_at_univ-nantes.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:23:18 +0200
Hi all:

There are several projects that have been started
some time ago on model repositories. ReMoDD, AM3, ZooMM, etc.

On May 24 at ICSE, Shanghai Betty Cheng organized a meeting
to discuss the ReMoDD project. The following topics
were discussed there:

1. How to encourage and obtain industrial artifacts for ReMoDD?
2. What artifacts should we emphasize for the 1st generation of ReMoDD?
(How will these artifacts be used? etc)
3. What kind of user interface needs should we keep in mind as we build
a prototype interface?

The discussion concluded to several new questions that have to
be answered. I am writing from my notes, but Betty
may correct this:

1. Which kind of models do we want to collect?
(UML models, UML "profiled" models? which profile, etc.)

2. To which kind of metamodels should these models comply?
UML 1.x, UML 2.0, UML 2.1, non UML metamodels?

3. What will be the storing format of these models?
XMI 1.x, XMI 2.0, XMI 2.1, etc?

4. What will be the concrete repository?
Implemented where? With which support?
With which resources?

5. What will be the tools available to
feed or query this model repository?

6. What will be the status of the contributed
models? Open source? Which license? GPL? EPL?

7. What will be the accessibility to the deposited models?
(This is related to the previous question, but several
difficult situations may be found like some countries not
allowed to access artefacts produced under industrial/military
funding, etc.)

One general conclusion of this meeting was that there are
already several initiatives that have been launched in Europe
or North America on the subject of model repositories.
As Jean-Marie suggests, it will be interesting to link
these various initiatives. It is very unlikely that there will
be one unique place for all these repositories, but a federated
non-centralized model repository seems to make sense.

The Gamma (http://planetmde.org/gamma2006) workshop was a first step
to this. May be the organization of a set of BOF at various conferences
may also help?  MoDELs is a good candidate as is OOPSLA later.
Next week there will be some related workshops and discussions at ECOOP
in Nantes,
for example the eTX one:
http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/www/papers/eTX2006/index.htm
Some aspects of the AM3 model repository will be presented at this
workshop:
http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/www/papers/eTX2006/03a-Fredd
yAllilaireRev1.pdf
Many recent extensions to AM3 are not described in this paper,
because they are still in development, but should be contributed before
next autumn.
The creation of the AM3 Eclipse project
(http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/am3/doc/AM3_ProjectPlan.V01.01.pdf)
has been supported by the ModelWare European IP project
and its development is sheduled to be part of the new
European ModelPlex IP project (nov. 2006- nov. 2009)

There is however in the paper above an answer to Tom's question.
Since we consider a terminal model or a metamodel to be an
abstract model, we have zoos of (abstract) models that may contain
terminal models and zoos of models that may contain metamodels.
Since a transformation is a terminal model, we have also even
zoos of transformations
(http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/atl/atlTransformations/).
However I agree that having a significant open source and freely
accessible
library of UML models for experimental purposes may be
an important asset for the community.

For Jean-Marie, the AM3 zoo (http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/am3/zoos/)
is not restricted to KM3 or Ecore metamodels as you write.
In the future you may also see some examples of different native zoos
there.
We are eagerly waiting to link the AM3 zoo with
the concrete resources contained in ZOOOMMM also.

Best regards,

Jean

Jean Bézivin - ATLAS Group (INRIA & LINA) - University of Nantes - 2,
rue de la Houssinière - 44322 Nantes cedex 3 - France
tel. +33 2 51 12 58 13 - fax. +33 2 51 12 58 12 - cell.+33 6 14 32 22 36
- new e.mail: Jean.Bezivin@univ-nantes.fr
http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/lina/atl/
Mark your agenda to celebrate the 20th anniversary of ECOOP
ECOOP 2006, Nantes, July 3-7,  http://ecoop2006.emn.fr