RE: Help...Verify UML Design

From: Chris Britton <chris.britton_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:25:20 +0100
I too have been looking at the problem of verification of design but very
much from a non-theoretical point of view. I think the notion of
testing/analysing/verifying is incredibly important.

But I have found UML is missing a lot of data that's needed to do a
comprehensive job. In particular the high-level modelling is missing; it
does not have the data to allow you to do a good job at modelling the
relationships between activities, data, people and external
actions/entities. Since an IT application (at least a business operational
application) is a cog in the machine, not the whole machine (the whole
machine is the overarching business process), you cannot verify the IT
application is going its job unless you have modelled the context for that
job.

OK I'll get off my soap box now. But if you are interest I wrote some papers
on the subject which you can read at www.itmodeller.co.uk/papers.htm. Any
comments gratefully received.

Best regards,
Chris