Re: History of modelling languages and of UML

From: Pierre-Yves Schobbens <pys_at_info.fundp.ac.be>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:16:41 +0200
Jean-Marie,

A short intro is available on the net:
http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~dbraun/csis4650/A&D/UML_tutorial/
history_of_uml.htm

The development of UML began in late 1994 when Grady Booch and Jim
Rumbaugh of Rational Software Corporation began their work on
unifying the Booch and OMT (Object Modeling Technique) methods. In
the Fall of 1995, Ivar Jacobson and his Objectory company joined
Rational and this unification effort, merging in the OOSE (Object-
Oriented Software Engineering) method.1

As the primary authors of the Booch, OMT, and OOSE methods, Grady
Booch, Jim Rumbaugh, and Ivar Jacobson were motivated to create a
unified modeling language for three reasons. First, these methods
were already evolving toward each other independently. It made sense
to continue that evolution together rather than apart, eliminating
the potential for any unnecessary and gratuitous differences that
would further confuse users. Second, by unifying the semantics and
notation, they could bring some stability to the object-oriented
marketplace, allowing projects to settle on one mature modeling
language and letting tool builders focus on delivering more useful
features. Third, they expected that their collaboration would yield
improvements in all three earlier methods, helping them to capture
lessons learned and to address problems that none of their methods
previously handled well.1

The efforts of Booch, Rumbaugh, and Jacobson resulted in the release
of the UML 0.9 and 0.91 documents in June and October of 1996. During
1996, the UML authors invited and received feedback from the general
community. They incorporated this feedback, but it was clear that
additional focused attention was still required.1

While Rational was bringing UML together, efforts were being made on
achieving the broader goal of an industry standard modeling language.
In early 1995, Ivar Jacobson (then Chief Technology Officer of
Objectory) and Richard Soley (then Chief Technology Officer of OMG)
decided to push harder to achieve standardization in the methods
marketplace. In June 1995, an OMG-hosted meeting of all major
methodologists (or their representatives) resulted in the first
worldwide agreement to seek methodology standards, under the aegis of
the OMG process.1

During 1996, it became clear that several organizations saw UML as
strategic to their business. A Request for Proposal (RFP) issued by
the Object Management Group (OMG) provided the catalyst for these
organizations to join forces around producing a joint RFP response.
Rational established the UML Partners consortium with several
organizations willing to dedicate resources to work toward a strong
UML 1.0 definition. Those contributing most to the UML 1.0 definition
included: Digital Equipment Corp., HP, i-Logix, IntelliCorp, IBM,
ICON Computing, MCI Systemhouse, Microsoft, Oracle, Rational
Software, TI, and Unisys. This collaboration produced UML 1.0, a
modeling language that was well defined, expressive, powerful, and
generally applicable. This was submitted to the OMG in January 1997
as an initial RFP response.1

In January 1997 IBM, ObjecTime, Platinum Technology, Ptech, Taskon,
Reich Technologies and Softeam also submitted separate RFP responses
to the OMG. These companies joined the UML partners to contribute
their ideas, and together the partners produced the revised UML 1.1
response. The focus of the UML 1.1 release was to improve the clarity
of the UML 1.0 semantics and to incorporate contributions from the
new partners. It was submitted to the OMG for their consideration and
adopted in the fall of 1997.1