Re: OMG specs and reference implementations

From: Laurence Tratt <laurie_at_tratt.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:36:02 +0800
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:07:27AM +1000, Jorn Guy Suess wrote:

Dear Jorn

> However, the OMG has not elected or promoted a reference implementation.
> This is mainly for political and economic reasons, as it would force other
> members of the OMG to comply. Also, the OMG is a commercial organisation,
> so research groups do not appear as players and can not provide substantial
> input.

There are many flaws with the OMG process (the non-requirement of reference
implementations being but one example), but you're being unfairly harsh in
stating that research groups "do not appear as players". For example, as
you're now based in Queensland I'm sure you're aware of the substantial
impact that the much missed DSTC research unit had on many OMG standards,
and there have been various academic organisations who have put a lot of
effort into the process at one point or another.

Yours,

Laurie
--
http://tratt.net/laurie/     -- Personal