Where are we at? Where to from here?

From: Greg O'Keefe <greg.okeefe_at_anu.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 19:00:46 +1000
Precise UMLeers,

I am interested to know your opinions of the state of play in making UML
precise.

I understand this list originated with a specific effort (MML) to give
foundations to UML using an object calculus based on that of Abadi and
Cardelli.  That became a bid for the UML 2 rfp, but it did not win.
Perhaps the main players were discouraged by this, so now the list is
just a forum for technical questions and gripes.

Is it still a good idea to try to make UML precise?

Can work outside the large IBM funded project have any influence?

Perhaps we should look instead to a new, well defined language, or
giving UML-like notation to an existing formalism?

Let's revisit the big picture!

I look forward to reading your views,

Greg O'Keefe
--
Computer Sciences Laboratory
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering

T: +61-2-6125-8608
F: +61-2-6125-8824
E: greg.okeefe@anu.edu.au
W: http://rsise.anu.edu.au/~okeefe