Re: Octopus

From: Jos Warmer ^lt;j.warmer@klasse.nl>
Date: Tue 31 Jan 2006 - 08:10:38 GMT
Andrea,

Octopus can generate code for checking all invariants and preconditions.
Octopus also generate code for OCL used in init expressions, derivation
rules and body-expressions for operations.

Preconditions are turned into assert statements, and can be turned on or
off using standard Java features.

For each invariant an operation is generated that checks the invariant.
The tiome and place where you want to
call this invariant operation is up to yourself. Since we cannot check
invariants "always". we have chosen that
the checking strategy has to be chosen y the developer.
To allow testing your invariants the user interface generated by Octopus
(Eclipse RCP) has buttons to perform
checking invariants for either a single object or for all objects in the
system. These buttons simply call the
invariant operations.

Init expressions, derivation rules for derived attributes and body
expressions for query operations are all generated
and always used inside the Java code.

Octopus does not generate test cases, although this might be an
interesting extension.

Hope this helps to clarify things,

Jos