Wiring components in the UML 2 metamodel

From: Miguel Goul„o ^lt;miguel.goulao@di.fct.unl.pt>
Date: Wed 28 Sep 2005 - 15:29:42 BST
Hello,

In the UML 2.0 metamodel, a component may have provided and required
interfaces. But I am having problems with linking a provided to a required
interface. It looks simple in a component diagram, but which are the
metaclasses involved?

To make my problem clear, suppose component A provides interface X and
component B requires interface X, as well. How do I represent the wiring
of component A to component B, through interface X, in the metamodel?

I can use the metaclass Component for representing A and B, the metaclass
Interface for representing X, but can't find a suitable way of saying that
B is using A's provided interface X (rather than C's provided interface X,
for instance).

The metaclass representing Connector, presented on the same specification
chapter (and also defined in the SimpleComponents package) seems to be
unattached from the rest of the metamodel. :-(

Is this a bug in the metamodel itself, or am I missing the correct link,
somehow? Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

Miguel Goul„o