mapping concepts of sequence diagrams to the UML metamodel

From: Aline Lúcia Baroni ^lt;alinebaroni@di.fct.unl.pt>
Date: Fri 29 Jul 2005 - 17:24:00 BST
Dear all,

Once again, I have some doubts concerning sequence diagrams (SDs) and the UML metamodel (MM).
Thanks to everyone who can help me with the following issues (the words in green represent the elements of an illustration SD, the words in blue represent mappings of the UML meta-classes to an Object diagram):

- Consider a message in a SD, from one lifeline to another one, which has an iteration (*) meaning it needs to be repeated more than once. For example, the message *[for each showseat]:doSomething, from : Performance, to : ShowSeat.

Which meta-classes can I use, to represent the concept of the iteraction *[for each showseat]? If this message appears in a CombinedFragment, could I use the InteractionOperator loop (described on page 511 of the Superstructure)? If not, how do I map the iteraction to the entities of the UML MM?

- Consider a message in a SD, from one lifeline to another one, which has a condition ([condition]) without an iteraction, meaning it is just used to drive the use of messages in a scenario. For example, the message [show seat not selected]:return Showseat, from : Performance, to : SelectShowSeat. How can I map [show seat not selected]:return Showseat to the meta-classes of the UML MM?
In this case I thought about using an instance of a Constraint meta-class (show_seat_not_selected : Constraint) linked to an instance of a LiteralBoolean Value Specification (+specification isSelected? : LiteralBoolean). This instance of Constraint would have the role +precondition of Op3 : Operation, instance of the meta-class Operation. Is this right?

I am not sure if I made myself clear enought in this email. Anyway, would appreciate a lot if someone can help me.
Kind regards,

Aline L. Baroni
PhD student at the New University of Lisbon
QUASAR Research Group
http://ctp.di.fct.unl.pt/QUASAR/

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

fig8-8_0.jpg fig8-9_0.jpg