Re: Modern Software Engineering Techniques: A Replacement for Formal Methods?

From: Joaquin Miller (jm-miller-at@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun 03 Apr 2005 - 18:10:39 BST

One day, in the still distant future, we will have workaday practical
methods with a strict formal basis.

In those days, we will be no different than modern structural engineering
or integrated circuit design.  Our work will rest on sold foundations.  Our
choices will be based on the practical use of theories built on those
foundations, on empirical tests, and on our feelings.

Reaching that day requires a lot of work, some of which has been done in
these early years.  Much more remains to be done.

Until then, we insult engineers by speaking of software engineering.