Modern Software Engineering Techniques: A Replacement for Formal Methods?

From: H@mm@D Afz@L (H@mm@D)
Date: Sat 02 Apr 2005 - 22:38:52 BST

Hi,
My question is very much related to that of Behram ,,, Actually in my
case, our main topic of dicussion is a comment made by Prof.Tony Hoare
in one of his speeches that  the techniques of the software
development process (including UML but not limited to UML) have been
influenced by formal methods.
Now, what I have inferred from these comments (and a few other papers)
that these techniques are much easier to use than formal methods and
achieve most of the aims of Formal Methods ... therefore, in the long
run, formal methods will continue to loose their popularity and at
some stage, perhaps will be completely diminished. Can anybody please
through some light on these comments and if possible, please recommend
some useful reading materials about this topic?

--
H@mm@D Afz@L
School of Informatics