Re: UML and formal languages

From: ali mouez (mouez_ali@yahoo.fr)
Date: Thu 31 Mar 2005 - 18:28:00 BST

hi daniel
but OCL is not a formal laguage that can be anime a specification and prove their correctness,
we can only check the syntax of constraint

Daniel Jackson <dnj@mit.edu> wrote:
behram,

UML is a collection of languages, not a single language. these
languages _are_ formal languages (or at least are intended to be). Z
and VDM are languages for describing operations on complex state, so
are comparable to OCL.

the differences between OCL and Z and VDM and both syntactic and
semantic. OCL has an ascii syntax that appeals more to practitioners
than the syntax of Z or VDM. semantically, Z is the simplest of the
three, because it's based on just sets and relations. OCL and VDM have
additional notions (such as sequences), and OCL has a richer (and far
more complicated) notion of type than either.

to my mind, the key characteristic of a formal language is
analyzability. the UML languages are not in general analyzable, because
they weren't designed with analysis in mind. in theory, it'd be
possible to modify the UML languages to make them analyzable, but at
this point such changes seem unlikely. my own research group has
developed an analyzable language (http://alloy.mit.edu) that is similar
in expressiveness to OCL.

/daniel

On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Behram Khan wrote:

> Hi.
> I am a BE student from NUST Pakistan. I am stuying formal methods as a
> subject. We had a discusison in the class that "is UML a replacement
> for formal methods? if not then what is the difference between UML
> and formal languages, and what benifits can formal languages(liek z
> and VDm) give that UML cant".
> There were many views so i just wanted to know any coments form anyone
> about this topic in this group.
> thank you

To remove yourself from this list please mail puml-list-request@cs.york.ac.uk
with a message containing the word "unsubscribe".

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail