Re: UML and formal languages

From: Jean Louis Sourrouille (Jean-Louis.Sourrouille@insa-Lyon.fr)
Date: Thu 31 Mar 2005 - 17:30:59 BST

Hi,
In any language, an expression has interpretation(s) (i.e., meaning) in a
semantic domain.
Generally, formal languages have only one interpretation in the semantic
domain, which means that everybody understand an expression in the same
way. Nevertheless, the interpretations can form an equivalence class, e.g.,
a+b+c has several interpretations in C++ such as: (a+b) +c   or   a+(b+c).
In the UML, an expression may have an unknown number of interpretations. As
a result, the meaning depends on the reader (human, program...).
Unlike formal languages, you should define your interpretation of a UML
model before any automatic treatment: checks, translation into programming
language, etc.
Research groups are working to define a formal semantics for UML.

Regards,
JL