a type system for object models and OCL

From: Daniel Jackson (dnj@mit.edu)
Date: Thu 19 Aug 2004 - 16:22:29 BST

dear puml'ers:

we have recently developed a type system for object models. a paper
about it is due to appear at FSE this fall.

the type system was motivated by our dissatisfaction with previous type
systems, including our own (for Alloy 2) and for OCL. we're confident
that we understand the limitations and flaws of our own previous
attempts, but we want to make sure that our critique of OCL is correct.

the paper may be downloaded from

	http://sdg.lcs.mit.edu/~dnj/tmp/materials/fse-subtypes.pdf

unfortunately, as usual with these things, we're down to the wire, and
the camera ready copy is due on monday. so comments we get before then
are especially welcome, but we'd be pleased to receive feedback later
too.

if you want to just read our critique of OCL, look at the related work
at the end. we're hoping though that OCL'ers might also take an
interest in the contribution of the paper itself, which we think offers
a simple and workable solution to the problem of typing object models.

regards,

/daniel