Re: Optional attributes

From: Joaquin Miller (jm-miller-at@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue 18 May 2004 - 17:16:28 BST

The use of the term, 'null value,' makes me nervous.  And i reckon i don't
know why folks put quotation marks around 'null.'  (Are those scare quotes,
suggesting we don't mean null in the literal sense?)

I expect we could make better progress on this if we could all be sure we
share a precise (chain jerk intended) understanding of what we mean when we
write 'null'  (and what we intend to convey when we write ' "null"  ').

The MOF specification authors took a lot of care to make sure that the
meaning of 'null' is single, that 'null' is used consistently, and that it
was clear that (as used in MOF) null is not a value.

http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/00-04-03

Cordially,

Joaquin