Software-Architecture of a Modelling Environment

From: Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti (sujitkc@csa.iisc.ernet.in)
Date: Tue 20 Apr 2004 - 11:02:44 BST

Hello,
    I am on my way to building a visual modelling environment for my
research project. Something in the lines of Rose, USE, Rhapsody etc. I
am using C++, Qt for graphics, XML for model persistence.
    However, I donot have any experience building such a tool
conveniently. I am particularly interested in building the software in a
way so that the modelling environment core is kept logically separate
from the UI part. This is in the anticipation that some way down the
line, I may decide to abandon the GUI, and prefer a text-based
interface, or vice-versa.

    I am sure, it must be a well-solved problem since there are so many
excellent modelling tools available. However, I haven't yet come across
a tutorial-like text on the software-design of modelling environments or
related applications. Before plunging into using my own discretion, I
want to explore for any existing resource.

    I don't mind browsing through the source-code of existing softwares,
but that would be the last resort. It would be ideal if I get a
design-document; or better still, a textbook like thing.

Thanks,
Sujit