FW: UML Validating Tools - Rose Compatibility

From: Andy Evans (andye@cs.york.ac.uk)
Date: Fri 09 Jan 2004 - 12:39:47 GMT

Hello,

This list has been recommended to me by a lecturer at my University.  I
am a Computer Science undergraduate on my year in industry.  I am
working at BAE Systems in Warton.  The department in which I am
currently working uses Rational Rose as part of its software development
toolset.

I have been looking for tools that validate UML diagrams as Rose does
not do this (we're using v2002.05.00).  I have found quite a few so far
(links included at the end of the e-mail) but none of these seem to work
with Rose.

Please could you let me know if you have come across any tools that can
validate UML (i.e. warn of syntax or semantic errors) and that work with
Rose?  We can't use any Internet-based tools (the web checkers) due to
security restrictions.

Please CC me as I am not subscribed to the list.  Thanks for your time
and help,

best regards,

Matthew T. Atkinson

Validation tools I found so far:

* UMC - an on-line validator:
  http://fmt.isti.cnr.it/projects/umc/UMC-README.html
  http://matrix.iei.pi.cnr.it/umc/V2.5/umc.html

* UML Validation Toolset (not yet released):
  http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~wwshen/tool/tool.html

* Xlinkit:
  http://www.systemwire.com/xlinkit/

* Visual Paradigm.  Cross-platform (which interested me personally),
though not Open Source).  I am waiting for the ``info'' team to tell me
if this works with Rose but, from the information I've read so far, I
don't think it does:
  http://www.visual-paradigm.com/

My lecturer also told me about:

* Visual Object Modellers:
  http://www.visualobject.com/
  I am waiting for a response from their ``info'' team as well.

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew.atkinson@baesystems.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message