Conflicts and internal transitions

From: Andrzej Wasowski (andrzej_wasowski@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue 09 Dec 2003 - 12:55:41 GMT

Dear UML scholars,

I find it somewhat hard to deduce from UML specifications  (both 1.5
and 2.0 proposal) the exact semantics of conflicts between internal
transitions and usual transitions. Perhaps, anybody here would point me
to  answers for the following questions:

* does an internal transition of state A is in nonresolvable conflict
with
  a transition originating in A (precicely in A)? (I suppose the answer

  is yes).

* does an internal transition of state A is in resolvable conflict with

  a transition originating from B, a direct substate of A?
  (I suppose the answer is yes and the conflict is resolved in favor of

   the transition leaving B, not in favor of the internal transition)?

And:

* Can the internal transition of the state A fire in the same microstep
  in which A became active (I suppose not).

* Can the internal transition of the state A fire in the same microstep
  in which A is left(exit)? (I suppose not. because this would mean
  there is a conflict which can be resolved in favor of the internal
  transition and then the state cannot be left, or infavor of the other
  transition and then the internal transition cannot fire).

Can anybody confirm or deny the above guesses? I found the
specifications rather unhelpful.

regards

Andrzej Wasowski
PhD student of IT University of Copenhagen

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save 80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk