Re: knowledge distilled from the UML 2.0 infrastructure

From: Andy Evans (andye@cs.york.ac.uk)
Date: Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 21:01:08 BST

I think an important insight that was gained when both U2P and 2U attempted
to design the infrastructure and superstructure models in a more reusable
way, was that existing class based approaches to reuse were too fine grained
to support the practical design of large scale language definitions. Hence,
the development of package extension and merge mechanisms that aimed to
allow chunks of model abstractions to be extended and merged through the
combination of packages.

In the U2P approach, it was decided that package merge should be defined in
terms of class inheritance, hence the large inheritance tree you see today.
2U took the approach that such a tree should be flattened, thus resulting in
a more compact model. Both approach have their advantages and disadvantages
though. Inheritance based approaches result in large unmanageable trees,
whilst flattening tends to loose information about the design motivation
behind a model.

I think more work needs to be done on this very important topic. If we are
to meet the needs of MDA, we cannot afford to spend 2-3 years designing
language meta-models again. They should be quickly built from pre-existing,
large grained reuse libraries, and checked using tools.

As a side plug - York University are holding a workshop on meta-modelling
for MDA, where we hope to encourage debate on just this topic. All
contributions welcome (see below) !

Andy

Metamodelling for MDA
First Call for Papers
November 24th - 25th
York, England
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/metamodel4mda
==============================

Background
=========

The OMG Model Driven Architecture (MDA) promises to be a revolutionary step
in software engineering, by making models primary artefacts and thus
raising the level of abstraction in the software development process.
Whilst a lot of focus has been given to the transformation of
platform-independent models to platform-specific models, the scope of MDA
potentially covers the modelling of all aspects of a system throughout its
lifecycle. Metamodelling provides the foundation for this vision, by
enabling meaningful metamodels of languages to be defined precisely and
unified in a consistent framework. To this end, the OMG's Meta-Object
Facility (MOF) is stipulated as the language in which all languages for MDA
are expressed. As another iteration of the UML revision process nears
completion however, many issues have been raised concerning the means by
which MOF is applied, such that languages constructed to support MDA are
reusable, flexible and meaningful. This workshop then aims to investigate
the fundamental principles, tools and techniques that are needed for the
metamodelling of languages, in order to provide a foundation for MDA and
the long-term future for the role of modelling in software development.

Scope & topics
===========

This two day workshop is aimed at anyone within industry or academia who
recognises that MDA is founded upon rigorous metamodelling. The workshop
seeks to explore the theories, principles and practice by which language
metamodels are constructed, transformed, related and used to support MDA.
It also aims to highlight lessons that have been learned from putting these
theories and principles into practice, and investigate the next generation
of tools that are needed to fully realise the MDA vision. It is anticipated
that some of the paper contributions will be published as a book.Potential
topics include (but are not limited to) the following:-

- Principles and mechanisms for constructing language metamodels
         o Principles (e.g. reuse, separation of concerns)
         o Mechanisms (e.g. layered architecture, templates, product lines)
         o Language components (e.g. semantics, user notation)

-  Architectures for MDA
         o  The metamodelling architecture (e.g reflection, layering)
         o  Requirements for future extensions to MOF
         o  Families of languages (e.g. profile mechanisms, product lines)

- Concrete languages
         o Mappings languages (including QVT)
         o Executable modelling languageso Domain specific languages (e.g.
real-time, systems engineering)
         o Ontologies and metadata (including semantic web, RDF)

-  Tools for metamodelling
         o  Meta virtual machines and executable modelling languages
         o  Implementation issues for metamodelling tools (e.g. efficiency)
         o  Model interchange and tool interconnectivity
         o  Metamodelling tool architectures and tool factories

Submission details
==============

We invite two types of submission.  Full papers will be no longer than 15
pages and will be reviewed thoroughly.  Position papers will communicate
individuals' perspectives on MDA and will be subjected to a lighter
reviewer process.  The latter should be no more than 2 pages.  All accepted
papers will be included in a workshop technical report.  All papers must be
submitted via website (URL at top of message) by the 1st August 2003.

Important dates

Deadline for all submissions:    1st  August 2003
Notification to authors:        26th  September 2003
Final version of papers:        24th October 2003