Re: Status of UML 2.0, unambigious

From: Prof. Dr. Peter H. Schmitt (pschmitt@ira.uka.de)
Date: Fri 25 Oct 2002 - 09:51:30 BST

Hi Robert,

Here is my contribution to the discussion on UMl being unambiguous.

 From what you wrote I get the impression that you are not using
"unambiguous" in a colloquial sense, but rather in a well defined
technical sense.

I looked in the book "Introduction to automata theory, languages and
computation" by Hopcroft and Ullman and found on page 87 of the 1979
edition the definitions you probably had in mind:

   A GRAMMAR G is unambiguous, if for every word w derivable in G, there
   is only one parse tree (i.e. there is essentailly one way to derive w)

   A LANGUGAE L is (inherently) ambiguous if every grammar for L is
   ambiguous.

Since the semantics of a word w does not depend on the way it is derived
in the grammar, it is perfectly possible that an inherently ambiguous
language has a well defined formal semantics.

I hope this help to clarify the situation

regards

Peter

--
Prof. Dr. Peter H. Schmitt
Institut fuer LKD                 Fakultaet fuer Informatik

Tel. 0721-608-4000 (Sekr.) -3919  Fax. 0721-608-4211