Learning UML

From: Anand Lakhani (anl@webtec.co.uk)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 2002 - 10:30:20 BST

Hi,

I am relatively new to this email group but not to modelling.  I have
concentrated on languages such as Z while keeping an eye on the UML
community.  However, I have to admit that I don't really know how to use
UML.  I was wondering whether anyone can suggest texts and short courses
that a student at PhD level should go on to gain a sound grounding in
UML.  I am most interested in business modelling and security modelling.
I have read Sinan Si Alhir's "UML in a nutshell" book but now I need to
learn the fundamentals of the language and gain a greater understanding
of how to extend it and specify complex ideas (maybe using OCL).

I would like to gain a good basic understanding relatively quickly by
doing a course, but then using various texts I would like to continue
studying this language with the outcome that I will be able to use it in
my PhD and in my Software Engineering work.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anand Lakhani
TCS Associate