Re: signals

From: robert france (france@CS.ColoState.EDU)
Date: Thu 26 Sep 2002 - 15:58:16 BST

Good, that's my understanding as well. I was a bit confused about the
original email about activity diagrams and signals - Esha, can you point
to the part of the UML standard that restricts activity diagrams
to signals?

Robert

>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:22:38 +0200
>From: Shane Sendall <Shane.Sendall@epfl.ch>
>To: puml-list@cs.york.ac.uk, esha@wedgwood.cs.umass.edu
>Subject: Re: signals
>
>Hi Esha,
>I haven't as such worked on activity diagrams, but I can offer my
>understanding of the relationship between signals and events (and
>stimuli) in the context of statemachines.
>My understanding (of UML 1.4 spec) is that everything sent between
>instances (of actors/objects, etc.) are stimuli. Stimuli are caused by
>send or call actions.
>Considering just the case of Signals, a send action is executed on the
>source instance, and consequently, a stimulus is created according to
>the related Signal (its just the specification of the stimulus that
>defines the signature; like a class for an object) and delivered to the
>target instance. The Reception at the target side determines whether the
>stimulus can be accepted (i.e., if it is supported by the classifier);
>if it is accepted by the Reception, then a SignalEvent instance is
>generated and placed on the state machine's event queue ready for
>processing.
>
>I hope that helps.
>
>Best of luck,
>    Shane

>- Shane Sendall - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne -
>- email : Shane.Sendall@epfl.ch     http://lglwww.epfl.ch/~sendall/ -
>- phone : ++41 21 693 66 89         fax : ++41 21 693 50 79         -
>

>Esha Ray wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am student at UMass, Amherst and I am working with LASER(Lab for
>> Advanced Software Engineering Research). I am working with activity
>> diagrams and tring desperately to understand its semantics. We are
>> really stuck with signals right now. The UML user guide, reference
>> manual give very ambigous statemnets about signals. They also say that
>> acticity diagrams do not have events but only signals. I am not clear
>> on teh exact semantics about signals. Signals are also classifiers and
>> we can have a class diagram on the hierarchy of signals int he system.
>> Can anyone please tell me what exactly signals do in an activity
>> diagram and how are they interpreted.
>>
>> -Esha

Robert B. France, Assoc Professor | Tel: 970-491-6356
Computer Science Department       | Fax: 970-491-2466
Colorado State University         | Email: france@cs.colostate.edu
Fort Collins, CO 80523            | www.cs.colostate.edu/~france/