Re: signals

From: Shane Sendall (Shane.Sendall@epfl.ch)
Date: Thu 26 Sep 2002 - 15:22:38 BST

Hi Esha,
I haven't as such worked on activity diagrams, but I can offer my
understanding of the relationship between signals and events (and
stimuli) in the context of statemachines.
My understanding (of UML 1.4 spec) is that everything sent between
instances (of actors/objects, etc.) are stimuli. Stimuli are caused by
send or call actions.
Considering just the case of Signals, a send action is executed on the
source instance, and consequently, a stimulus is created according to
the related Signal (its just the specification of the stimulus that
defines the signature; like a class for an object) and delivered to the
target instance. The Reception at the target side determines whether the
stimulus can be accepted (i.e., if it is supported by the classifier);
if it is accepted by the Reception, then a SignalEvent instance is
generated and placed on the state machine's event queue ready for
processing.

I hope that helps.

Best of luck,
    Shane

- Shane Sendall - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne -
- email : Shane.Sendall@epfl.ch     http://lglwww.epfl.ch/~sendall/ -
- phone : ++41 21 693 66 89         fax : ++41 21 693 50 79         -