Re: signals

From: Les Munday (baldrick@ureach.com)
Date: Wed 25 Sep 2002 - 19:16:49 BST

> Hi!
>
> I am student at UMass, Amherst and I am working with LASER
(Lab for Advanced Software Engineering
> Research). I am working with activity diagrams and tring
desperately to understand its semantics. We
> are really stuck with signals right now. The UML user guide,
reference manual give very ambigous
> statemnets about signals. They also say that acticity
diagrams do not have events but only signals. I
> am not clear on teh exact semantics about signals. Signals
are also classifiers and we can have a
> class diagram on the hierarchy of signals int he system. Can
anyone please tell me what exactly
> signals do in an activity diagram and how are they
interpreted.

I can't help you with the difference between events and signals
but, my tool shows links between activities as transitions each
of which is described by an event. Also note that in
discussions I've had with various people using activity
diagrams, there are a number of ambiguities in the notation,
which mean that people are using the same diagram notation to
mean different things.

Bearing this in mmind, I would suggest that you make you own
rules, but stay within the UML guidelines. If a word is open to
interpretation (Signal for example) mnake your own definition
and stick with it. This is also within the guidelines laid down
by your tool if it is intelligent enough to understand activity
diagram notation.

In summary, it's not something I'd lose sleep over, and as I
just read this morning, the activity diagram notation is going
to change in UML 2.0 anyway.

Les.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more