signals

From: Esha Ray (esha@laser.cs.umass.edu)
Date: Wed 25 Sep 2002 - 18:57:42 BST

Hi!

I am student at UMass, Amherst and I am working with LASER(Lab for Advanced Software Engineering Research). I am working with activity diagrams and tring desperately to understand its semantics. We are really stuck with signals right now. The UML user guide, reference manual give very ambigous statemnets about signals. They also say that acticity diagrams do not have events but only signals. I am not clear on teh exact semantics about signals. Signals are also classifiers and we can have a class diagram on the hierarchy of signals int he system. Can anyone please tell me what exactly signals do in an activity diagram and how are they interpreted.

-Esha