Several PhD positions in Formal Methods and Tools (Twente)

From: Joost-Pieter Katoen (katoen@cs.utwente.nl)
Date: Mon 19 Aug 2002 - 16:03:09 BST

[we apologise for receiving multiple copies.]

|   The Formal Methods and Tools group is seeking applications for:   |
|                             PhD students                            |

The Formal Methods and Tools group (FMT) at the University of Twente in
the Netherlands is part of the Department of Computer Science, the largest
academic institute for computer science in the Netherlands.  We currently
have 17 employees and are responsible for education and research in the
area of formal methods and supporting software tools.  The FMT group has
internationally recognised competence in formal specification, verifica-
tion, conformance testing, formal methods for object-oriented systems,
and combining formal methods with performance and dependability analysis.

The group has intensive co-operation with other universities and industry,
both at the national and international level.  The FMT group is project
leader of three national research projects funded by the Dutch Technology
Foundation (STW), all as part of the PROGRESS programme for research on
embedded systems, participates in six projects funded by the Netherlands
Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) and participates in two
international projects funded by the European Commission (EC).

More information about our group can be found at URL fmt.cs.utwente.nl.

We currently have several vacancies for qualified PhD students
in either one of the following research fields:

- conformance testing of real-time systems
- correctness, performance and dependability
- hybrid systems
- software model checking
- analysis of partial-order models

Profile
-------

Candidates should have an MSc (or equivalent) degree in computer science
or a closely related area.  Familiarity with one or more of the aforemen-
tioned topics is considered an advantage.  You enjoy working in an inter-
nationally oriented research environment, and are willing to accept res-
tricted teaching duties.  Communicative skills and the ability to
work in a team are important.

Appointment and salary
----------------------

You will be appointed for a period of 4 years with a gross salary ranging
between approximately Euro 1800 per month (first year) and Euro 2200 per
month (fourth year), plus an 8% holiday allowance.  The University of
Twente provides additional financial support for training, travel and
career development upto a maximum of Euro 4538.  As part of your training
you will be enrolled for the courses of the Dutch graduate school IPA
(Institute for Programming Research and Algorithmics; www.win.tue.nl/ipa).

Information and application

You can obtain further information about these positions from:

- Prof.dr. Ed Brinksma, brinksma@cs.utwente.nl, tel. +31 53 4893676
- Dr.ir. Joost-Pieter Katoen, katoen@cs.utwente.nl, tel. +31 53 4895675

You are invited to send an application by email to the persons above
before September 15, 2002.  Your application should consist of a cover
letter, a curriculum vitae (including detailed information regarding your
academic degree) and the names and addresses of two references.