RE: [sc] Who applies Risk Acceptance Principles (50126-2, 8.1.1)

From: Loebl, Andy <loeblas_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:53:28 -0400
Well, my information resulted from two projects I work on in 2009.  One was to review NUREG-6303 (Defense-in-Depth)  the goal of that project was to write a report on clarifying the NUREG so industry could address the movement of analog to digital control and safety systems of new electrical power production reactors.

The second was a review of GE and Mitsubishi to obtain NRC approval for the use of Mitsubishi existing digital systems for retrofitting old production reactors and outfitting new production reactors.  The rational from GE was that the systems have never had a problem so they could use that record of achievement and give benefit to NRC.

I was kicked off the project for showing the NRC that defense in depth would not improve the risk of failure any more than two independent or redundant systems improve the risk of failure, it merely increases the confidence that the probability of failure on demand is mitigated but does not lessen the probability.

The other reason was that GE objected to my insistence that the software match the requirements of the American systems.  Their entailed a new requirements analysis and that would have cost GE some money.  The NRC asked me if there was another way, since at that time, I said I knew of no better way to address software safety and software reliability, that they were distinct concepts.  The Commission members at that time wanted PRA implemented across NRC and most particularly in the deterioration of current reactor components, assemblies and critical safety systems.

I apologize for not offering the lineage of my statements to give a better context.  I do know that the main thrust of life extension of aging reactors is PRA based relative to deterioration of components and complications therefrom.  That part was current as of the beginning of FY2012.

andy