Re: [sc] A Suggestion on Ensuring Safety Requirements Fulfilment even if your SW is imperfect

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:33:52 +0200
On 10/16/11 2:24 PM, Nancy Leveson wrote:
> Also, I haven't read the Rushby and Littlewood's paper, but I did read the
> abstract. So I may have missed something important. But what is the
> difference between this proposal and the classic "monitor" in the fault
> tolerance literature (from decades ago). Is the difference in the
> mathematical analysis (which I haven't had time to review yet)?

Yes, that's my take on it. They can get the software to high levels of reliability with high
confidence by using the particular architecture. The key phrase is "with high confidence".

PBL

Peter Bernard Ladkin, Professor of Computer Networks and Distributed Systems,
Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany