Re: [sc] Chinese Rail Collision

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:27:56 +0200
There is an article in the NYT today about microblogs - the limited-character "Twitter" variety -
which are called "weibo" in Chinese: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/world/asia/29china.html

Apparently there have been about 26 million messages about the train crash since it occurred. A
contributor - a young girl - started it, asking, minutes before the crash, why the high-speed train
was moving so slowly.

It has had consequences. Three telling events:
> Last weekend, Wenzhou bureaucrats ordered local lawyers not to accept cases from families of victimswithout their permission. After weibos exposed them, they withdrew the order and apologized.
>
> Railway workers had quickly buried the first car of the oncoming train at the site of the accident. On Monday, after an online outcry charging a cover-up, they unearthed it and took it to Wenzhou for analysis.
> .....on Thursday, fact-checking bloggers posted photos of Prime Minister Wen Jiabao’s recent official activities to counter his assertion at a Wenzhou news conference that illness had kept him from visiting the disaster site earlier.

Note: the NYT WWW site sits behind a partial paywall. They let you view a certain number of articles
per month (I think it's 20) free, but then you have to subscribe to the WWW site.

PBL

Peter Bernard Ladkin, Professor of Computer Networks and Distributed Systems,
Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany