Re: [sc] New International Standard - Urgent Action Needed

From: Rob Alexander <rda_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:42:40 +0100
Peter, all,

> I work on the German national standards committee DKE GK 914 responsible
> for functional safety of E/E/PE devices and systems using them. I
> received today a draft international standard (IEC) on Root Cause
> Failure Analysis (RCFA), with a request for comment as a member of that
> committee. The following is the entire section on "analysis" (one of the
> four words in the name of the technique to be standardised).

A brief comment - I am deeply concerned about the assumption that there
exists a single "root cause" that can be found and corrected. This
flies in the face of decades of safety engineering research establishing
that many (most?) accidents can only be explained in terms of multiple
causes, all of which were necessary and none of which were sufficient.

yours,
rob

--
Dr Rob Alexander
Lecturer in High Integrity Systems Engineering