Re: [sc] Best route to certification as a Functional Safety engineer or something else.

From: Jon Hind <jon_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:03:53 +0000

Perhaps the list police will clamp down now;

But what I have actually playing in my ears now is the BBC's "I'm sorry I
haven't a Clue" :) And the specific piece is Tim Brooke Taylor singing "The
Bermuda Triangle" to the tune of "Lilly Marlene".

Back to the procedure review.

Jon Hind
jon@xxxxxx

On 17 March 2011 10:29, Jon Hind <jon@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter and Nancy and the direct repliers - thank you.
>
> Peters comments made me smile as I read them in a little break from being
> tortured in  300 year German by his compatriot Mr JS Bach and his little =
St
> [...]
> procedures - what would make the best background music ?
>
> I like the idea of being a Dr.-Ing. Do you get to wear a nice uniform for
> the graduation? And in unison throw ones hat in the air ? The scrabble to
> find it to return it to the hire company ?
>
> And Nancy, I came up against the CSP thing in Alaska, but then I was
> working on a Fire & Gas system, and safety related decisions had to be ma=
de
> by a certified engineer.
>
> Thank you for your comments I need advice, either on the list or
> privately.
>
> Jon Hind
> jon@xxxxxx
>

> On 16 March 2011 18:27, Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin@xxxxxx=
>wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/11 6:53 PM, Jon Hind wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like market forces and consequent competency perceptions lead =
me
>>> that I think I need to follow the "Functional Safety Engineer"
>>> certification
>>> route.
>>>
>>> I wonder if you kind people would share your advise your experience.
>>>

>> (What an opening! Here goes :-) Assumption: you are based in the UK
>>
>> The financially cheapest but temporally most expensive way to do it is t=
>> do a Dr.-Ing. with me or one of my colleagues known in functional safety=
. It
>> costs you =800 in fees but rather more in time. The exam is guaranteed t=
o be
>> on a, nay *the*, topic of your choosing, at a time of your choosing, wit=
>> examiners of your choosing. At the end you are a fully-qualified enginee=
r in
>> the topic of your choosing (say, functional safety) and associated areas=
 of
>> your self-expressed confidence. Consider it charity, courtesy of the Ger=
man
>> government. We do build good cars, airplanes, and (dare one say it this
>> week) nuclear reactors, so it works.
>>
>> The financially most expensive but temporally cheapest way is probably t=
>> do the Certificate program at the Uni York. Consider it also charity, th=
is
>> time courtesy of you. One looks in vain for car production, the
>> international achievement in functional safety lying mainly with airplan=
>> wings and engines, with the one hanging off the other probably still the
>> most important bit, or maybe Dyson vacuum cleaners. (If you want to be i=
>> process engineering, make sure it's forensics, in which the UK is
>> necessarily highly experienced.)
>>
>> Anything else is not charity: they have a stake in your money, but don't
>> deserve it.
>>
>> PBL
>>
>> Peter Bernard Ladkin, Professor of Computer Networks and Distributed
>> Systems,
>> Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany

[The content of this part has been removed by the mailing list software]