RE: [sc] Civility of discourse in the Safety-Critical Systems Eng ineering Community

From: Shore Andy (external) <Andy.Shore_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:51:24 -0000
Hello Nick

Yes, I have a little concern that contribution can feel rather intimidating.

For sure, I don't contribute to the list much because I'm aware there are
contributors who really do know a lot more about anything I may write about
than I do; and it doesn't usually take long to figure out which contributors
they are. Sometimes one can ask questions without risking sounding
incompetent, of course.

And nuance? (Hmm, yes - and nuance used in the advocacy of formality,
perhaps!) Well, it's an English language forum and English is the first
language of Engineering (I state, on the basis of opinion and no evidence
whatsoever). And English is a wonderful language partly because it is so
supportive of nuance. Nuance, good. Nasty nuance, bad.

It's unfortunate if there is disdain, belittlement or point-scoring in the
nuance, of course, but does that happen (too much)?

I'm a bit concerned, though, about ideas of enforced civility. (Is that the
same as politeness? I think so.)

One man's civility may be another man's sterility, just as one man's banter
may be intimidating to another.

And just so I plant my flag firmly... if it smacks of PC, I hate it.

So, yes, a few ground rules for a baseline of civility, and very occasional
private words from a moderator to explain how an individual's post may not
be quite as civil as intended or appropriate. That would probably make the
small improvement that may be justifiable.

Also I'm not over the moon about the re-structuring of the SCML towards
particular topics. Who's going to set the topics? Who's going to say how far
you can go within them before being deemed off-topic? And then what? Who
says the many things we discuss are separable into topics and not
intertwined? Okay, it may be a reasonable idea and certainly worth
consideration, but NOT if this vital (in two senses) open forum is then
closed.

I'd have thought, though, that if the SCML members are going to be polled,
the structure of the SCML itself would have been a more essential subject
than a marginal and subjective concern about civility.

But that's just what I think, and I suspect many people who know me will
doubt I know enough about civility to have an opinion on it at all.

Andy