Civility of discourse in the Safety-Critical Systems Engineering Community

From: Andrew Rae <ajrae_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:07:40 +0000
Dear All,

Please note that in the following message I speak on my own
account and am not representing the University of York, who
host this mailing list.

On-line spaces (such as this mailing list) serve a useful purpose
for informal debate, discussion, testing of ideas and education.
All of these purposes are hampered when the space becomes unpleasant
to interact within.

A functional professional and academic community should be able to
exchange ideas without directly or indirectly criticising the competence
or goodwill of others. Behaviour on this mailing list has been
unacceptable, including from some whose academic titles would normally
be indications of maturity and wisdom.

I include below some clear examples of unfriendly behaviour. I think a
long term solution is to shift this community from a mailing list to a
set of moderated forums. This will reduce the email load, facilitate
subscribing to topics of interest only, and make the community more
accessable to outsiders.

A key principle of these forums would be that personal attacks will not
be tolerated (Warnings by moderators, followed if necessary by
short-term exclusion of the offenders). There would be specific marked
areas for factual questions and discussions/debates on matters of
opinion and interpretation. I am in the process of setting up the
infrastructure for these forums but welcome private communication with
ideas or offers to assist with moderating.

The following habits are prevalent on this list and are not appropriate:

- Directly questioning the competence or integrity of those who do not
share a particular position

GOOD: "There is good evidence that formal methods are a reasonably
practicable way of ensuring correct provision of a function"

BAD: "You cannot follow a standard that does not mandate formal methods
and claim to be acting ethically"

- Characterising ideas or positions using terms that imply that those
holding the idea are not competent.

GOOD: "Your definition not semantically precise"
OKAY: "Your definition is so imprecise that it includes these
obviously inappropriate instances within it"
BAD: "Your definition is nonsense"

- Uncharitable interpretations of the posts of others

GOOD: "Your post might be interpreted as implying X. Is this what you
meant? If so, I disagree"
BAD: "You say X which is a fundamental misunderstanding".

- Taking criticism personally (whether it was intended to be personal or
not) and retaliating in an uncivil fashion

- Claiming personal ownership of a knowledge domain such as system
safety, systems engineering or systems theory in a way that implies that
others don't share that knowledge

BAD: "If you don't agree with me and the basic concepts of systems
theory that's your own prerogative"

- Implicitly criticising the participants in a discussion by
participating then stating that it isn't worth your time to continue
participating

GOOD: Choosing not to join a discussion, or politely offering to
continue in another place or time