Re: [sc] Cost of aircraft airworthiness certification (DO-178B/ED-12B)?

From: Jeff Payne <jeff_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:37:08 -0500

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Todd Brian
<tbrian@xxxxxx>wrote:

> So, the better your practices are, the cheaper certification is. I am not
> saying that the cert comes free. There is some overhead that even a CMMI 5
> group will not do normally, but it is a boat load less then a CMMI 3 group.

I have to agree strongly with this point.  Not only do you need to account
for the additional deliverables required, but the resistance to and learning
curve for a more rigorous process will also impact project cost.

Some other notes from the field:

   - Expect the first certification done to cost more - a lot more, again
   depending on current process maturity.  This would seem obvious, but some
   marketing types go to engineering thinking this certification is a cheap
   bullet point for their glossys.
   - Companies who embrace and integrate the process change required by the
   standards have much more success controlling cost in future projects than
   those who try and work around, back fill and/or "reverse-engineer" their
   compliance deliverables.

Jeff Payne

[The content of this part has been removed by the mailing list software]