question about software versus hardware

From: Schaefer, Robert P \(US SSA\) <robert.p.schaefer_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:51:22 -0500
Hello,

 This is my first posting to this list, please forgive me if I break

  protocol. I am a quick study. Here are my questions.

 1. In the design of barriers that prevent access to unsafe states,

     is there a general recommendation for hardware (physical barriers)

     over software (logical barriers)? Or is this a context dependent

     judgment call?

 2. This has probably come up before but which is more important

     overall, reliability or safety?  Or is this a chicken and egg kind

     of thing (which came first)?

 3. With the known and ongoing failures in software reliability

     would you consider it a mistake to ever trust software for

     (your) safety?

 thank you for your consideration

 robert schaefer

 robert.p.schaefer@xxxxxx

[The content of this part has been removed by the mailing list software]