Re: [sc] What is a SIL 3 certified RTOS?

From: Peter B. Ladkin <ladkin_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:23:06 +0100
Scott Nowell wrote:
 > I appreciate Peter's concern, but my answer is based on the practical
 > reality that organizations such as TUV are most certainly certifying
 > RTOS's as software components to SIL 3.

Scott,

I presume we are talking about the meaning of a SIL as embodied in IEC
61508.

Daichi Mizuguchi asked how an RTOS could be "SIL 3 certified". You answered
him. I pointed out that the state of knowledge described in your answer is
unachievable [*]. You point out that the "practical reality" is that
some companies
are doing it anyway.

I take it that the "practical reality" of which you speak refers to the
politics and
not to the science of the matter. Yes, the politics of this worries me
considerably.

(BTW, there is no such organisation as "TÜV". There are many companies with
such a name. Those most active in the areas which interest us are TÜV
Süd, TÜV Nord,
and TÜV Rheinland, all distinct, any of which you could have meant.)

PBL

Footnote

[*] Unless the Safety Manual tells you not to use any function of the OS
as part of
a SIL 3 safety function in a manner in which the OS function could
constitute a
single point of failure. This constraint would be too extreme for
practical purposes:
under such a constraint, it would usually be both more efficient and
more reliable to
implement the needed OS function directly in the safety function.

--
Peter B. Ladkin, Professor of Computer Networks and Distributed Systems,
Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany