RE: "Certified" Code Generator

From: GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N <alvery.grazebrook_at_xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:56:16 +0100
I agree, but I think you missed the point. I made this comment because I agree with PBL's premise that simple statistical observation won't give us a useful answer to the question of reliability. PBL jumped in off the deep end with the billions of years, but even the more optimistic position still doesn't give us a useful answer.

My conclusion ... Simple observation of statistical events won't do anything beyond offering to disprove the claim if the claim is wrong by several orders of magnitude. Therefore, if we want to consider using software at all in these type of systems, and economically we (society) clearly do, we need to approach the problem in a different way.

Cheers,
	Alvery

-- this e-mail expresses personal opinions, not those of my employers.