Re: [sc] Moral Dimensions of SC-System Development

From: C. Michael Holloway (c.m.holloway(at)larc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri 22 Nov 2002 - 17:22:18 GMT

At 06:04 PM 11/22/2002 +0000, Dr. Wolfgang Ehrenberger wrote:
>Furtunately enough, we have a much better basis for our judgements on
>software and computer system safety in many cases than jim has
>postulated:
>
>We can simply ask: Will the new system be conncted to lower risks
>than the old one, or will it not? ...

This only works if people with sufficient knowledge are asking the
question.  For far too many people, including many engineers and
researchers, the answer to the question is always, "Yes", whenever the new
system involves more automation than the old system.  For these, people
there is no need to think about the specifics of a particular problem,
because it is axiomatic that automation and risk are inversely proportional.

- --
C. Michael Holloway, Senior Research Engineer, NASA Langley Research Center
General Chair IRIA 2003  <http://shemesh.larc.nasa.gov/iria2003/>
Workshop on Investigation & Reporting of Incidents & Accidents