Re: - [sc] Are four eyes better than two?

From: Peter B. Ladkin (ladkin(at)rvs.uni-bielefeld.de)
Date: Tue 19 Nov 2002 - 11:38:49 GMT

Although the "supervisory" role has its disadvantages, there are other
ways to deploy humans, and multiple humans to enhance reliability. La Porte
and various others found out through a study of highly-reliable systems
(US Naval peacetime carrier ops, PG&E nuclear ops, amongst others) that one
characteristic was multiple independent checks of safety-critical
ops. For example, as I recall (I hope correctly), on the carrier,
three people checked the correct installation of the aircraft nosewheel
on the catapult, and those three belonged to different chains of command
(up to a certain point).

PBL

--
Peter B. Ladkin PhD FBCS CW(hon)
Professor of Computer Networks and Distributed Systems,