Re: [sc] Are four eyes better than two?

From: Nancy Leveson (leveson(at)sunnyday.mit.edu)
Date: Tue 19 Nov 2002 - 11:10:31 GMT

The basic principle here, in my experience, has to do with the
effectiveness of monitors in general.  Human monitors are very
ineffective if the thing (either human or automation) being monitored
rarely makes mistakes.  Alternatively, humans who know they are
being monitored (either by another human or an automated system)
tend to rely on the monitor and turn their attention to other things.
That's because we move toward efficiency in our jobs.  So what starts
out as redundancy turns into a system without much redundancy.  As has
been noted by others in this interchange, a more careful task analysis
where each person has assigned tasks that together add up to a safer
system is required.  Simply treating people like hardware and naively
adding another monitoring "component" won't work.

Nancy