Re: [sc] Poor Software

From: Pete Fenelon (pete(at)fenelon.com)
Date: Tue 29 Oct 2002 - 14:23:37 GMT

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:04:35PM +0100, Peter B. Ladkin wrote:
> Neil Audsley wrote:
> >
> > Also remember that the original C library was written (by M. Lesk, not
> > K&R) to ensure code took as little space as possible (PDP-11 was the
> > first target).
>
> Unix, B and C were first targeted to a "spare" PDP-8. Wasn't the first

Unix and B originated on the PDP-7, in fact. A very different machine
to the PDP-8.  C originated on the PDP-11.

The facts here are widely available, not least at
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html
where Dennis Ritchie himself recounts the history of B and C.

pete
--
pete(at)fenelon.com "...and even on a clear day I can't see the point..."