RE: [sc] Use of floating point arithmetic in embedded control software

From: David Crocker (dcrocker(at)eschertech.com)
Date: Tue 29 Oct 2002 - 00:31:20 GMT

Brian Wichmann wrote on 28 October 2002 22:15:

>> Support of fixed point is poor in most languages except COBOL and Ada -
>> I suspect Ada is the only viable option for microprocessors.

Any object-oriented language makes it straightforward to add fixed-point
types, which is why modern OOPLs define only a small number of types in the
language and leave the rest to the library. But until fairly recently there
has been a lack of OO languages that are safe enough to write in for
developing SC systems.

David Crocker
Escher Technologies Ltd.
www.eschertech.com